Day by Day



Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Flag as a Barometer

We all know that we’re living in a time of change.  Or, so we hope.  (Get it? Hope & Change?)

 

Yeah, I know.

 

Anyway, I’ve noticed a few things around the neighborhood lately.  Being a military neighborhood, in a military town, near a military base, it’s easy to expect to see the American flag flying darn near everywhere.  It’s on my house and my car, for instance.  And down the street.  And around the corner…

 

But lately, I’ve noticed the beginnings of change.  I’ve seen the flags change.  In some cases, more US Flags go up.  But, more importantly… I’ve seen some American flags come DOWN.  Replaced with the Gadsden flag in most cases.  And lately, not entirely surprisingly as we approach the sesquicentennial of the War Between the States, the Confederate Battle Flag has reemerged.

 

What does this mean?  Does it mean anything?

 

I believe it might be one of the indicators, a barometer perhaps, of the changing mood of the country.  People have often stated their views or allegiances with the flags they fly.  For the US flag to come down and another flag to rise in its place, in this area… very telling.

No comments: